MSN has launched a new research tool entitled Companies and Brands: Leverage points with international apparel companies. This comprehensive tool is designed to assist worker rights advocates in accessing detailed information about a company whose products are sourced from factories where labour rights violations have occurred. The research tool includes a seven-page chart that outlines six key leverage points about global garment companies and the brands that they own:
- Whether the company owns the manufacturing facility where its products are made;
- If it discloses its factory list and other supply chain information;
- If it is a university licensee;
- If it is a member of a multi-stakeholder initiative;
- Whether it is a publicly traded company; and
- If it has effectively engaged with labour rights organizations on previous cases of worker rights violations.
The chart is limited to the international companies that source from Mexico and Central America as this is the geographic focus of MSN’s work.